When the Portuguese Christmas "king cake" meets the Swedish kanelbulle, the result is just... delicious!
Makes 1 cake:
For the dough:
Margarine (vegan, non-hydrogenated - 80g)
Vegetable milk (300 ml)
Fresh yeast (25g)
Muscovado sugar (50g)
For the filling:
Dried fruits and nuts (200 g)
Orange jam (sugar free)
For the top:
1) In a small saucepan, melt the margarine over medium-low heat. Pour in the milk and heat gently to about 37C.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast with a little of the warm milk-margarine mixture and a sprinkle of the sugar. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
3) Add the remaining milk mixture, sugar and about 2/3 of the flour mixture. Mix until you have a smooth, soft dough, adding more flour as necessary if it’s too sticky.
4) The dough is ready when it comes away from the sides of the bowl.
5) Cover and let it rest for 30 minutes.
6) Knead the dough in the bowl and then turn onto a floured work surface and knead in the rest of the flour, for a couple of minutes. Gentle add in the dried fruits and nuts.
7) Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a thin, large rectangle. Spread with jam. Roll up tightly along the longer edge and slice into even pieces.
8) Place each piece, sliced side up, and shape a circle. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
9) Preheat oven to 225C.
10) Brush the tops with milk, and sprinkle with sugar.
11) Bake on the center rack of the oven for 8-10 minutes.
12) Cool and enjoy!